Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Digi Techniques - Lesson 2 - In Class Activity

My favourite genre of photography? I guess if I had to name one, it would be "abstract photography". Abstract (adj.): of or pertaining to the formal aspect of art, emphasizing lines, colors, generalized or geometrical forms, etc., esp. with reference to their relationship to one another. From that point of view, you could say that a close-up of a bug's eye could be an abstract of the whole bug. A landscape of the Gunn Creek valley in Riding Mountain Nat'l Park is an abstract of the earth. And a photo of our planet is an abstract of the universe. So, I figure I've got the bases covered. So, there it is.

As for what I hope to learn in school this year... I want to gain confidence in my shooting, particularly if shooting for a client. I also want to learn to use on-camera flash, flash in general, and be able to make great portraits using flash. News flash: I'm not so great with flash. Lightroom is another thing I am very keen on learning. (Bridge sucks... I knew that on some level, but it has now become abundantly clear.)

One of my photographic memories would be from Thailand and framing up a good shot. It was good enough that I had to get my partner at the time to look through the camera so I could show it to her. When I picked up the photos from the lab, the woman working there said, "Hey, this here photo, you should enter it in our 'Picture Summer and Win! (TM)' contest." So I did, not thinking much of it. Some months later, I got a phone call saying I had one first place in my category, and they gave me a Nikon F60. Which was pretty sweet since I was already a Nikon shooter, having purchased my first serious camera - a Nikon FM10 - specifically for that trip to Thailand.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jonah, thanks for posting that pic, I really liked it. It has nice depth of field. I enjoyed hearing your story about the photo contest you entered and won, that's pretty awesome. If you ever win something again and it's a Canon product I'll gladly take it off your hands, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats awesome you won that contest, congrats! You seem like you already have a fair knowledge of photography so far, more than I do since I am coming into this program with nothing at all besides what I thinnk is a good eye. I believe you are going to go far, good job! :)

    ReplyDelete