Monday, October 26, 2009

CI Field Trip 1

Psychedelic baby strollers, frogs, ginormous gold fish, and pink flamingos. No, this is not Transcona. This is... the Winnipeg zoo.

I don't like zoos generally; most of the animals seem sad at best, and certifiably insane at worst. So I headed for the amphibians and fish, because I really can't tell how they're feeling.

I especially had fun with the biggest gold fish I have ever seen. I think technically they're carp, or something, but I like to think of them as guppies on 'roids. They were great for photographing movement.

I hung with a tree frog for a while because he didn't move much, and I could try out some zoom bursts.

There was some kind of tropical bird behind bars that worked well for creatively throwing things out of focus.

The pink flamingos fought a lot - I think the pink gruel they were drinking might have been fermented. I tried to capture them actually fighting, but no joy. I did end up with a couple of cool shots though.

And i think it might actually be impossible to do a good job photographing cockroaches under red heat lamps - that's either a technical issue I have yet to overcome, or my own revulsion, so I didn't include those photos.

In any case, it was a fun trip. Here is a link to the slideshow:
CI Field Trip 1

No comments:

Post a Comment